The Rt Revd William Alonzo Parker (31 January 1887-28 April 1982) was a former Anglican Bishop of Shrewsbury.
He was born on 31 January 1887 He was son of Mr W.H. Parker of Alkrington, Lancashire. He was educated at Manchester University what is a meat tenderizer used for.
During the First World War he served in the Royal Tank Corps, which he joined in 1916, and was Mentioned in Despatches. He left the army in 1924 and completed his university studies, graduating as Bachelor of Commerce in 1926 and Master of Arts (MA) in 1939.
Ordained in 1929, he was a Curate at Sheffield Cathedral 1928-30 and then Bishop’s Chaplain at St. George’s Cathedral, Jerusalem 1931-37. He was then successively Vicar of St Matthew, Gosport fabric remover, 1937–42. At the beginning of the Second World War he was a Senior Chaplain of the Forces (1939-40).
He was Vicar of St Chad, Shrewsbury 1942-46 before being appointed Archdeacon of Stafford in 1945, a post he held until his elevation to the Episcopate 14 years later. He was also Chaplain of the Order of St John from 1955-60, and later Sub-Prelate of the Order, Provost of Denstone College 1960-67. He retired as Bishop in 1969.
In 1930 he married Ellen belt bottle holder, daughter of the Reverend Robert Hodgson of Hooton Roberts, Yorkshire.
In retirement he lived at Church Stretton, Shropshire. He died at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital on 28 April 1982, aged 95.